Dentists have been inundated by patients with an array ofcomplicated medical conditions and pain/sedation management issues.This is in addition to a variety of legal regulations dentists mustfollow regarding the storage and recordkeeping of controlledsubstances. Avoid unknowingly putting your practice at risk bybecoming victim to a scam or violating a recordkeeping requirementwith The ADA Practical Guide to Substance Use Disorders and SafePrescribing.
This Practical Guide is ideal for dentists and staff asthey navigate:
- Detecting and deterring substance use disorders(SUD) and drug diversion in the dental office (drug-seekingpatients)
- Prescribing complexities
- Treating patients with SUD and complex analgesic andsedation (pain/sedation management) needs and the best use ofsedation anxiety medication
- Interviewing and counselling options for SUD
- Federal drug regulations
Commonly used illicit, prescription, and over-the-counter drugs, aswell as alcohol and tobacco, are also covered.
Special features include:
- Clinical tools proven to aid in the identification, interviewing, intervention, referral and treatment of SUD
- Basic elements of SUD, acute pain/sedation management, and drug diversion
- Summary of evidence-based literature that supportswhat, when and how to prescribe controlled substances to patientswith SUD
- Discussion of key federal controlled substanceregulations that frequently impact dental practitioners
- Checklists to help prevent drug diversion in dentalpractices
- Chapter on impaired dental professionals
- Case studies that examine safe prescribing and duediligence