Now in its third edition Shakespeare: The Basics is an insightful and informative introduction to the work of William Shakespeare. Exploring all aspects of Shakespeare s plays including the language, cultural contexts, and modern interpretations, this text looks at how a range of plays from across the genres have been understood. Updates in this edition include:
- Ecocritical, queer, presentist and gendered discussions of Shakespeare s work
- Studies of new performances including Tennant and Tate s Much Ado About Nothing
- Critical discussions of race and politics in Othello and King Lear
- Case studies of modern film versions of Shakespeare s works
- A chronology of Shakespeare s work and contemporary events
With fully updated further reading throughout and a wide range of case studies and examples, this text is essential reading for all those studying Shakespeare s work."