Nearly all business records created today are electronic, and are increasing in number at breathtaking rates, yet most organizations do not have the policies and technologies in place to effectively organize, search, protect, preserve, and produce these records. Authored by an internationally recognized expert on e-records in collaboration with leading subject matter experts worldwide, this authoritative text addresses the widest range of in-depth e-records topics available in a single volume.
Using guidance from information governance (IG) principles, the book covers methods and best practices for everything from new e-records inventorying techniques and retention schedule development, to taxonomy design, business process improvement, managing vital records, and long term digital preservation. It goes further to include international standards and metadata considerations and then on to proven project planning, system procurement, and implementation methodologies. Managing Electronic Records is filled with current, critical information on e-records management methods, emerging best practices, and key technologies.
- Thoroughly introduces the fundamentals of electronic records management
- Explains the use of ARMA's Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles (GARP(R))
- Distills e-records best practices for email, social media, and cloud computing
- Reveals the latest techniques for e-records inventorying and retention scheduling
- Covers MS SharePoint governance planning for e-records including policy guidelines
- Demonstrates how to optimally apply business process improvement techniques
- Makes clear how to implement e-document security strategies and technologies
- Fully presents and discusses long term digital preservation strategies and standards
Managing e-records is a critical area, especially for those organizations faced with increasing regulatory compliance requirements, greater litigation demands, and tightened internal governance. Timely and relevant, Managing Electronic Records reveals step-by-step guidance for organizing, managing, protecting, and preserving electronic records.