The Safe Food Handbook is an essential guide for everyone, especially those most vulnerable to unsafe food--pregnant women, older adults, young children, those with serious health conditions--and anyone who cooks for them. Dr. Heli Perrett provides clear guidance on how to:
- Recognize the riskiest foods and places to eat
- Protect yourself from dangerous microbes like E.coli and Salmonella
- Reduce toxins that build up in your body
- Learn which corners you can cut--and which you shouldn't
- Enjoy your favorite foods without hurting your health or your budget
Helpfully organized by food group, The Safe Food Handbook demystifies the perils in our food--infectious bacteria, deadly molds, hormones, antibiotics, toxins, irradiation, and even wax on produce. Risks lurk in . . .
Fruits and Vegetables - Fish and Shellfish - Meat and Poultry - Dairy - Eggs - Grains, Legumes and Nuts - and even Herbs and Spices
. . . but Dr. Perrett answers your questions on shopping ("What exactly does this label mean?"), eating out ("What should I avoid in restaurants?"), and food preparation and storage ("How long can I save these leftovers?")--so you don't have to worry. You'll have the inside story on what's really in your shopping bag--and on your fork.