World-class preparation and rehabilitation of the injured athlete integrates best practice in sports medicine and physical therapy with training and conditioning techniques based on cutting-edge sports science. In this ground-breaking new book, leading sports injury and rehabilitation professionals, strength and conditioning coaches, biomechanists and sport scientists show how this integrated model works in practice across the full spectrum of athlete care, from the prevention of sports injury to the assessment and treatment of injuries, and the design and implementation of effective rehabilitation programmes. Crucially, in every chapter, there is a sharp focus on return to performance, rather than just a return to play.
The book introduces evidence-based best practice in all the core functional and professional areas of sports injury prevention and management, including:
- The performance framework for rehabilitation
- End-stage rehabilitation, testing and training for a return to performance
- Performance frameworks for medical and injury screening
- The psychology of injury and rehabilitation
- Developing core stability and flexibility
- Assessment of training and rehabilitation loads
- Performance retraining of muscle, tendon and bone injuries
- Recovery from training and rehabilitation
- The influence of pain on performance
- Running, throwing and landing mechanics and their contribution to injury and performance
Every chapter is set up as a masterclass from world-leading practitioners from a range of elite sports teams, and is written to have real-world application. Chapters contain best practice protocols, procedures and specimen programmes designed for high performance, with examples drawn from a wide range of individual and team sports.
No other book examines rehabilitation in such detail from a high performance standpoint, and therefore "Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation "is essential reading for any course in sports injury, sports therapy or sports medicine, and for any clinician, physical therapist, coach or sport scientist working to prevent or rehabilitate sports injuries."