The parent is a child's first and most important teacher. The mere interaction of parent and child - from cooing and playing to cuddling up and reading a nursery rhyme to tackling the everyday challenges of walking, talking, and tying shoes - is the warm-up for what is formally known as school.
Drawing upon her experiences as a teacher and a mother, Sandra Rief shows parents how to stimulate and encourage learning in reading and writing, language and communication, thinking and reasoning, plus promote good social and emotional behaviors and improve gross and fine motor skills. This practical, easy-to-understand guide is designed to help boosts a child's performance in school and increase the opportunities for success in life.
Included are many strategies, learning games, and activities that are enjoyable as well as educationally sound for:
- Building letter-sound skills necessary for reading
- Developing emergent and beginning writing skills
- Introducing numbers and math skills
- Helping your child be a good listener
- Encouraging your child's problem-solving and social skills