From a job in the mail room at EMI Music Publishing Cowell rose through the ranks swiftly and after becoming a record producer at the firm, left to set up his own company. Following the collapse of his first business and a time at BMG, Cowell went on to pioneer the Popstars TV talent show, and subsequently co-produce Pop Idol and more recently The X Factor. As a music producer he has achieved sales of over 25 million albums, over 70 top 30 records, and 17 Number 1 singles. His band 'Westlife' has achieved an impressive 10 Number 1 hits alone.
The Sunday Times Rich List recently estimated that he earned 33.5m in one year alone, thanks to the global success of the 'Pop Idol' brand.
The 10 Secrets of the International Music Mogul are:
- Work Your Way Up - get to know your industry
- Don't Be Defeated - how to overcome set backs in business
- Grab Opportunities - respond to the market
- Know Your Market - and consistently produce the product they want
- Think Differently - take your product and spin it in different formats
- Get Your Name on the Credits - and reap the rewards
- Don't Look Back - learn from missed opportunities but keep moving forwards
- Say it How It Is - straight talking saves time in business
- Build a Personal Brand - and be respected for what you do well if nothing else
- Use Your Contacts - there is no shame to pulling strings in business