When Wharton Esherick built his famous studio in 1926, it was situated near two tulip poplar trees. These trees became "witness trees," witnessing the history Esherick made there. In the late 1970s, one of these trees was struck by lighting. In 2010, this mighty witness came down. As Esherick himself had made great use of poplar boards, the Museum invited over 40 select artists to create artwork from the fallen poplar. Since Esherick was influenced by hobbyists and professional artists, the Wharton Esherick Museum invited established, emerging, and student artists alike. Captured here in 120 brilliant color photos are the resulting works of art. Among them are furniture, furnishings, woodcut prints, a poplar splint basket, ceramics finished with a poplar wood-ash glaze, and, true to Wharton Esherick, a wide range of functional sculpture.