New to this edition, the Environmental Issues in Oceanography projects are designed to develop and refine critical-thinking skills and an understanding of the core topics in oceanography through analyzing effects of common human interaction with our marine environment. The Issues include:
- Coastal Population Growth: A Global Ecosystem at Risk
- Coral Rocks! The Value of the World's Coral Reefs
- Global Warming and Sea Level Rise
- Human Impacts on Estuaries
- Ballast Water and Exotic Species
- Catch of the Day: Chilean Sea Bass
- Beaches or Bedrooms? The Dynamic Coastal Environment
- PCBs in Seawater
- Greenhouse Gases, Global CO2 Emissions, and Global Warming
- Lifestyles of the Large and Blubbery: The Blue Whale
- Dolphin-Safe Tuna: Oxymoron
The Issues are introduced in the text and are found in their entirety on the Introductory Oceanography companion Website.
in addition to the Issues projects, the text-specific Website contains practice quizzes with extensive feedback for both correct and incorrect answers, and chapter-specific links to the best oceanography sites on the Internet.