A Concise Companion to Realism offers an accessible introduction torealism as it has evolved since the 19th century. Though focused onliterature and literary theory, the significance of technology andthe visual arts is also addressed.
- Comprises 17 newly-commissioned essays written by adistinguished group of contributors, including Slavoj Zizek, Frederic Jameson and Terry Eagleton
- Provides the historical, cultural, intellectual, and literarycontexts necessary to understand developments in realism
- Addresses the artistic mediums and technologies such aspainting and film that have helped shape the way we perceivereality
- Explores literary and pictorial sub-genres, such as naturalismand socialist realism
- Includes a brief bibliography and suggestions for furtherreading at the end of each section