Gowen Field, located south of Boise s air terminal, is home to Idaho s adjutant general, the state s Army and Air National Guard, and to U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, and U.S. Marine Corps reserve units in the Boise area. Named in honor of Lt. Paul R. Gowen, a Caldwell native who died in an aircraft crash in 1938, Gowen Field was opened in the spring of 1941. Throughout World War II, the Army Air Forces used the field to train B-17 and B-24 aircrews for duty in both the European and Pacific theaters of war. Following World War II, the field was offered to the state of Idaho for use by the Air National Guard. Since that time, the Idaho Air Guard has operated numerous aircraft, including, but not limited to, the F-51, F-86, F-102, RF-4C, and the F-4G. Today the Idaho Air Guard operates the A-10 and C-130."