A succinct, up-to-date overview of the history of slavery that places American slavery in comparative perspective.
- Provides students with more than 70 primary documents on the history of slavery in America
- Includes extensive excerpts from slave narratives, interviews with former slaves, and letters by African Americans that document the experience of bondage
- Comprehensive headnotes introduce each selection
- A Visual History chapter provides images to supplement the written documents
- Includes an extensive bibliography and bibliographic essay